Saturday, October 12, 2013

Part I: Changes



Part I: Changes

I feel like it’s important to start talking again. For so long I haven’t had anything to say. I’ve pretty much turned my life upside down and I feel like it’s important to start talking about it. My reason is pretty simple, I want you to read these words and have the courage to do the same for yourself.

I woke in my old life one day and realized that I had been living that life for all the wrong reasons. I was bored and totally unhappy. However I was trapped. I was a slave to what I was doing and the money I was making doing it. I would have never left that life if fate hadn’t stepped in and threw me a curve ball.

Just a quick side note: the company I was working for had changed drastically anyway. It wasn’t the place it was when I started. I always had this idea that Marty Kaan from House of Lies had went to corporate and sold them some dumbass restructure that had no other purpose than to make Galweather & Stearn a shit ton of money. The result of which was a bunch of short sighted middle managers who had neither the balls nor the intelligence to say what they thought or buck the system, especially when those above them were wrong. They had become afraid of their employees to the point that they were making bad choices that would continue to contribute to the demise of the business and speed up the decline of a dead industry. I no longer fit the mold of what they thought was needed to get the job done despite the fact that I had been taking care of business for fourteen years. I was tossed out with the trash. I look forward to the day when karma starts dealing it out…she always does, one just has to wait a second. On the other hand, I was never more relieved than when I left the building for the last time, it was at that moment that I was truly free.

Whenever something like that happens, it’s not uncommon to do some soul searching and search I did. All I knew for sure is that I did not want to continue doing what I was doing; it was no longer working for me if it ever really did in the first place. I was a slave to money and that kept me from truly living my own life and finding my own happiness. I also knew that if I was going to do something radical I had to do it while I was still young enough to make it happen.

It was at that time that our family started about moving to Portland, Oregon. For me it was as far away from Florida as I could get without leaving the country. People would ask me if I had work or family out there and my answer was always “no.” That started the process of us downsizing our lives and fitting it into a 8x8x16 POD that ultimately got loaded and sent to Portland.

So here I sit, in a new life but I won’t overload you on the first day…

No comments:

Post a Comment