Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Genius in Us All


I read an article this morning that warned that the tech bubble was about to burst again. It spoke of billion dollar valuations and unicorn companies and a bunch of other things that I found interesting. I’m a fan of innovation and creativity. Makers of things and dreamers of big dreams drive my sense of what can be and help me to dream my own dreams. Now how many of these “unicorn” companies are actually making a difference remains to be seen. From what I read, they aren’t actually producing any profits for their investors but are fixated on expanding their reach…for their products…that aren’t actual products…that don’t actually do anything to make anything better <insert bursting sound here>.

There is a saying that goes “iron sharpens iron.” To me it means that one person enhances another with their interactions. Hopefully it’s in a positive way. Someone told me that people want to matter.  That gave me a moment to pause and contemplate the significance of that statement. I think I understand it on the surface but when I boil it down I realize that I want to matter, you want to matter. We all are looking for the same things. We all ask ourselves the same questions about why we are here and what my purpose is. We find the answers to those questions by our interactions with one another. We sharpen one another by the sharing of information and experience. The true answers to those questions are answered in working with others toward some common good or reaching a shared goal.

I run into people every single day that have no idea how a lot of the gadgets in their homes work. They have no idea how you type it on the screen and the screen answers back. I met a young man in his early 20’s that had no idea how to change the SSID or password for his router. I was thunderstruck. In this day and age, I would expect him to be schooling me. I’ve seen that particular scenario repeated over and over again during the course of my day. In my dreams I think mankind should be pushing out into space but most of the people in my experience can’t perform the simplest of functions on their own computers. We’re not going to get to Mars like that. The solution to me is pretty straight forward. Educate one person, then another, and another. The hope being is that at some point in your exercise in self replication will take on exponential growth…iron sharpening iron.

It’s the small stuff that really matter. I lose sight of that when I’m dreaming my big dreams. Dreams and ideas stay exactly that until you start to actuate them…when you start to move toward what you want. One person at a time is greater than zero; every time.  My goal for the week is to teach one person one thing. Simple. Doesn’t matter what it is just as long as it happens daily. Building on the small blocks makes the larger forms and with larger forms come larger dreams. More and more people getting in the mix to work the impossible. That’s how we will grow as a species. That’s how we get to Mars…it’s how the big dreams become the future.

“Just keep swimming” – Dory

FIN

1 comment: